There are a lot of courses that medical transcriptionists can choose from today. This is because medical transcription is a vast and growing industry. Regardless of what type of classes you choose to take though, you will still be able to work at your own pace and according to your own schedule whenever these classes are taken online.
You will also find that there are a lot of different institutes offering these classes. These institutes will provide you with a certificate once you have completed their courses. All of this is done from the comfort of your own home. Of course, it is important to take some time to find the right course for you.
Why Take A Medical Transcription Course Online
It can be tough to decide whether or not you want to go back to school. However, once you decide that you do want to attend school to become a medical transcriptionist, there is yet another decision to be made: whether or not to attend school online. Today, more than 4 million students are going to school online and this number is growing each year. This is because there are some very compelling reasons for attending school online, such as:
- You will be able to attend class anytime you want, anywhere you want.
- You won’t have to pay for babysitting or travel related expenses.
- Tuition costs less.
- Learning is self-paced so that you can learn according to your own learning style.
- Course materials are always accessible so that you can review things when necessary.
- You will learn the technological skills that are important to your job first hand.
- Networking is less intimidating when done online via chat rooms and forums.
- Instructors are much more approachable via email, telephone and instant messenger instead of after class when their time is limited. This will allow for better communication and an enhanced learning environment.
Why It Is Important To Choose The Right School
Choosing the right medical transcription course is important. You need to be on the lookout for illegitimate programs that simply want your money. The best way to do this is to make sure that the program you choose is accredited and highly recommended. Fortunately, this is easy to do because there are a lot of reviews that you can read online. Another thing to look for within these reviews is the school’s placement rate, which will tell you whether or not they will help you find a job and then give you support once you do.
What To Look For In A Good Online School
Once you have chosen a few online medical transcription schools that are of interest to you, make sure to request an information packet from them. Upon receiving it, you should look at what the school is offering you. While classroom learning is important, you will also want to have some real time experience before graduation. The more practice you get now, the better prepared you will be whenever you land your first job.
You also need to take a close look at the cost of tuition and what payment options are available to you. Regardless of your budget, this should not be your primary consideration. Quality is also of great importance. Without a good balance here you may end up finding that you wasted money on training that isn’t good enough to get you a job.
It is important to find out how flexible the program is. Usually online programs are self-paced but some are still stricter than others.
One final thing to look for is a way to easily interact with your professors and fellow students. The school can easily set up a discussion board. This will be great not only while you are in school but afterwards as well.
Some Online Schools To Consider
Some of the more reputable online medical transcription schools worth considering include:
- Penn Foster Career School. This school doesn’t just offer medical transcription training; it also offers 80 other programs in various fields. They are accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools and the U.S. Department of Education.
- PCDI (Professional Career Development Institute). This school is widely recognized throughout the United States. It is accredited by the DETC (Distance Education Training Council).
- Allied Schools. This school offers training for 20+ different careers. They are also accredited by the DETC (Distance Education Training Council), but Allied Schools are also accredited by the ACE (American Council on Education) as well.
What You Will Receive From A Good Online School
The courses that you take need to be accepted by AHDI, not just members of AHDI. This means that the courses have been reviewed and meet a certain minimum quality expectation. While some courses will still be better than others, at least with the AHDI approval you will know that they are not just some fly by night program. You can expect most medical transcription training courses to teach you:
- Medical terminology
- Basic anatomy, physiology, diagnostics and treatment modalities
- Rules of style, grammar and punctuation as well as editing and proofreading
- Word processing skills
- How to use transcription equipment
Upon completion of your medical transcription training you will receive a diploma that will enable you to get a job in a doctor’s office, hospital or anywhere else that requires your services. Most schools will even help you perfect your resume in order to be able to get such a job.